Skip to main content

Week 4: Coastal Trail Runs Crystal Springs Half+Big Fun in Pacifica

A light mist was falling as I wound my way up King's Mountain Road to Huddart Park last Saturday morning. Running again in Woodside, the race company was different, but the course was exactly the same with an out and back added to make it a half marathon. My plan was to run steady and conservative on the first half of uphill and then cruise on the downhill.

The start is downhill across a wide open field to the start of the trail. Within a hundred yards there is a sharp turn around a fence that brings the pack to a dead stop as we funnel out down the single track. I knew I was running the first mile fast, but I like to think of it as taking advantage of the early downhills...plus it was fun. I flew, and then I began the long 5ish mile climb.

About a third of the way up my legs decided they were done. Like DONE. I felt like I was crawling. The week before I had plowed uphill steadily feeling strong, but now, my legs felt like cement blocks. Finally reaching the top after a final insulting steep climb, I refilled my handheld at the aid station and took off on the out and back. This added bit was rolling for the most part and I decided to run through the last aid station with about four and a half lovely downhill miles to go to the finish.

2:16:10, 6th AG
After the run we drove up kkkkkkknjmh

I'm leaving that in. The cat just walked across the laptop like no big deal.

We drove up to Pacifica to hang at Nick's and have some crab sandwiches and watch the surfers.
Perfect recovery meal.
Not a bad view off the balcony of our room.
It wasn't until the next morning that I woke with an angry knee and a sore throat. I decided, very reluctantly, to skip my Pacifica solo trail run because my body seemed to be saying things to me. Instead, we hit the hotel gym and then lounged until checkout.

Driving home, we hit up the new outlets in Livermore and did some damage at the Columbia outlet. Pants and a jacket for me, new hiking boots for GeNene. That's when I started to realize the sickness was creeping in. I didn't make it to work for the next three days with sinus pressure so severe I was sure my eyeballs would explode. I floated through a NyQuil haze sleeping more hours than I was awake. It was miserable, and it was deliriously glorious. I'm done with this flu season so let's get on with it. I went back to work today, still kind of in a haze and confusing my body by being upright for so long. Tomorrow, I'll run.

I feel like I've had a bit of a setback, being sedentary for so many days and not eating very much, but the race date doesn't change and the goal hasn't changed. Time to rebuild, recharge, and get back in action.

My sister, who just got back from the Notre Dame game in Miami, sent me a picture of Bon Jovi at 3:37am this morning.


And now we're all caught up. My thoughts are with you all as we muscle through another flu season.

Good luck.



Comments

  1. Holy cow - you drove back here two weeks in a row? I can't believe I missed you there! Sorry about the flu thing - you didn't get it from me, but now I'm worried. Were you one of the large group that passed me as you headed out to the turnaround? (I did the 22 miles, and had a 30 minute head start. I couldn't believe how many Half runners blew past me.)

    Get better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were wonderful final miles to the race. I looooved them. I also hung out in the car until just before the start too (and kinda took a nap).

    I hope the plague didn't hit you too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic finishing time! Nicely done!! So envious you got into WTC! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e