Skip to main content

Marin Ultra Challenge 2016 Race Report



In theory, cucumber mint flavored Gu sounds refreshing, like it would be a wonderful break from all of the sweet and salty stuff late in the race. In reality, it's kind of weird and gross. Do not recommend. 


What a day in the Headlands it was! Last year, conditions were near perfect, and I had a near perfect race. This year, El Nino raged, and the wind actually blew me over. FUN!
Up and down. Repeat. 
I'm working toward my first 100k in May, so it was important to feel like I could run a smart 50k with no issues because I should be able to run a smart 50k with no issues and not even think about how a 100k is twice as far.

The Beginning. Everything's wonderful. 

The start and finish had been changed from Fort Baker to Rodeo Beach because of the rain. It was a dark start at 6am, but dawn wasn't far off. I opted for no headlamp. We did two Hill 88 loops as the sun rose before sailing down to Tennessee Valley under what I'd call a heavy drizzle. The weather at that point was...cute.

I grabbed some potatoes, drank some Tailwind, and headed out down Tennessee Valley Road with a handful of orance slices as the skies actually let loose and the wind picked up. The four miles on the Coastal Trail to Muir Beach were beautiful, as always. Seriously. That stretch gets me every time I run it.

The Middle. If it's going to get messy, here's where it will do exactly that. 

After a short jam down Hwy 1, we headed into the trees on Redwood Creek trail which felt more like creek and less like trail. A few of the trees fallen across the trail were large enough to require climbing, and the branches cracking and popping in the wind overhead added an element of "get the hell outta here quick". Once we started climbing out of the trees, the wind really started gusting. I made my way back down to Muir Beach eager to get going on the last ten miles.
Kudos to Let's Wander Photography for being out there in the rain.


The End. Kind of Tornado-ish. 

After a relatively calm climb up Middle Green Gulch, the descent on the other side was where the wind was hiding. Miwok cutoff is a weird fast little trail that cuts into the side of the hill. Most of it is just a narrow rut that requires heel to toe foot placement, which for me means a lot of concentration. One perfectly timed gust that caught me kind of off balance and focusing way too hard on where my feet were landing and I blew over. That has never happened before. 

I pressed on to Tennessee Valley where the volunteers had parked one of the shuttle vans directly in front of the aid station to block the wind and faced the familiar climb up Marincello. I was feeling pretty beat up at that point looking forward to the long downhill on Bobcat to the finish.

Finally, back to sea level, raining again (or still?), I made my way back to Rodeo to the finish in 6:50. Not my best time, but not my worst either. I felt good. I recovered quickly. 7 weeks to 100k. 

Oh, and here's a short thing I made about the race.

















Comments

  1. Wow - what an epic day out there! Congrats on surviving and (more or less) taming that course! (That video was great - what a sloppy mess, but the wind would have been my worst enemy that day. Yikes!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that video! You went through LAKES! But what a great lead-up to the 100k -- I think you're going to do very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I ran The North Face 50K two years ago and it was a lot like that, some of your video made me wonder if the routes were similar too. Looks like a tough, but awesome day! Is Miwok your 100K?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had horrible luck with the Miwok lottery, so I went for a sure thing - Quicksilver!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e