Skip to main content

Inside Trail 30k+I want to be a surfer.

On my way up to the turnaround point at the north peak of Montara Mountain, I looked up to see Caitlin Smith cruising back down.

Well, there goes my chance for an age group win today, I thought.
(that's a joke)

Someone should hire me to write course descriptions. 


Inside Trail celebrated its one year anniversary with a return to Pacifica, the site of their inaugural event. Last year I ran the half marathon distance, but this year my training for Way Too Cool called for an 18 miler. The past few trail races I've run have had a good amount of climbing, but for the most part, the entire second half has been downhill. I was super excited to challenge my legs to some late in the race uphill. (spoiler alert: legs were not super excited to accept the challenge)

I'm very familiar and comfortable with the first loop up the mountain. It's the longest and highest climb, but it's also the first three miles of the race when everybody's legs are fresh and rarin' to go. I tried to tuck in and keep a steady pace because the last five mile loop was what I was really focused on.

I hit the turnaround at the top with nothing but downhill ahead of me to the first aid station. I love out and backs because you get to actually watch the race you're running...you get to see the leaders and who's behind you. Having a stretch where you can give and get encouragement from other runners is always fun because trail running isn't really a spectator sport, and you can go for miles running completely alone.
Returning from the yellow loop. Photo Credit: Allen 

I only downed about a third of the water in my handheld on the mountain loop, so I opted to blow through the first aid station. At the start of the first climb of the pink loop I checked my Garmin  to note the time and distance. I remembered parts of this loop from last year being a big mental downer because of switchbacks that seemed to go on forever, so I figured I could occupy my mind the first time out by mapping the climbs and having some points of reference for the second loop out.

The first climb was about a mile up and a mile down...a little rough on tired legs and with hot sun over the exposed trail (January in California everybody) which led to the second climb. The second climb was 1.7 miles of switchbacks. 1.7 miles of switchbacks where every turn looks exactly like the turn you just made. 1.7 miles where about halfway through you start to question whether or not you're actually getting somewhere or maybe you traveled through some sort of wormhole where you just keep repeating the same half mile over and over again.
Like Groundhog Day, or that episode of the X Files "Monday"
but nobody would get that, so Groundhog Day. 
I noted the top of the second climb and flew downhill to the aid station where I intended to refill my handheld because I had drained it.
Coming back off of the first pink loop. Photo Credit: Allen
I walked out of the aid station to mentally regroup and focus on the goal I had set for myself: No one would pass me on this last loop. Basically, this meant I wouldn't wuss out or give up on this last five miles of climbing.

Going out for a second loop means you know exactly how much it's going to suck and how long it's going to suck for. I was prepared. I broke it down into the four sections of uphill and downhill. I knew the distances I was up against for each, and I powered through. It was awful. I thought my legs were going to just give up and fall off of my body a couple of times. If you were out there and heard someone yell "YES THANK YOU" that might have been me when I finally got to the top of the second climb with only downhill ahead of me to the finish.
Coming back off the second pink loop for the finish.
This might be the coolest shot ever.  Photo Credit: Allen
Finally realizing it was Allen behind the camera the entire race saying,
 "Heyyyy, it's Allen" Also, he managed to catch me mid air. 
Uh, pretty sure I touch the ground when I run. 

There it is. 
I hit the finish at 3:36. 6th in my age group. 10th female. 16th overall. Caitlin Smith did win the 30-39 age group. She was first female finisher. 2nd overall.
Coke. Sit down. That's all I want. 

I felt great about my run. Last year I finished the half at 3:00:48. This year I came into the aid station at the half mark at 2:24. My legs are sore, but it's a good sore...like I know I worked hard and mentally got through some tough spots, so I feel like training is on track.
swag: tech shirt and anniversary glass. sweet. 

I took off the next morning for a run along the coast. Tired legs, sore knees, but THIS...
I'm. Having. THE TIME OF MY LIFE. 

So also happening this weekend was the Mavericks Surf Competition down near Half Moon Bay. The call went out that conditions were right and surfers came from all over the world on a moment's notice. We didn't go down there, but the waves in Pacifica were huge, so I got to drool over surfers because I want to be one but I'm terrified...I'm from Indiana. Are you allowed to be a surfer if you're from Indiana? I'm not sure.
Take me with you!

The weekend was perfect. It was good running, and it was good ocean.

Comments

  1. woosh...check another one off the list...and training continues for Way too cool! good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really great trail race goal of not letting anyone pass! Awesome job too. I love the photo of you flying through the air. :) The weather has been insanely gorgeous here too lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Lia! you make me want to do my 30K right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I realized you were in this race until you finished your first pink loop - and then I wasn't quite sure. I was sure when you finished your second pink loop though. And you were flying - I had visions of Mr ITR having to run out and tackle you to keep you from running a third pink loop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e