Skip to main content

Big Sur Marathon 2012, Doing it right.

Saturday afternoon, @HalfMarathons tweeted this photo with the caption: Wind's gonna be strong tomorrow at the Big Sur Marathon. It blew down this port-a-potty already out on the course. 

I don't know what's worse, the thought of wind that strong during the marathon, or the thought of being in that port-a-potty. 

The weather in Monterey was beautiful Saturday. After the Expo, where Bart Yasso was hanging out at the Runner's World booth, and Dean Karnazes was giving a talk, we had lunch and walked the wharf. There were lots of commercial fishing boats docked along the pier to ogle and fish markets down at the end. Walking back toward the beach I heard from below a frantic "Stop paddling! Stop paddling!"

I would say, just don't make eye contact and throw it in reverse. 

The rest of the afternoon/evening was spent relaxing, eating, and preparing for the 3am wake up call to catch the bus. I did Big Sur last year, but if you remember, part of Highway 1 washed out causing the course to be modified into an out and back from Monterey. I can say I've run Big Sur, but I ran Big Sur without the hour long bus ride to the start and Hurricane Point and having never even run anywhere near Big Sur. Basically, this would be my first Big Sur.

Courtesy of MarathonGuide.com

I was awake before my alarm. A little coffee, a little to eat, a little to drink, ready to go. Downtown Monterey was dark at 3:45am but alive and buzzing with cars and runners being dropped off and walking to their bus pickup locations. I got a window seat and a guy from Chicago sat with me. We talked as the bus drove the marathon course in reverse; the Big Dipper hung in the sky with a million other stars, and the ocean was out there somewhere invisible in the dark.

Arriving about 5:15am, we had to leave the comfort of the warm bus and join the others staked out at the starting area. I grabbed a half cup of coffee and a banana and found a spot to sit and stay warm and chat knowing there was still about an hour and a half until the race began.

Finally, we were called to the start.  

The National Anthem was sung (for the 26th time) by Myles Williams. He finished to a roar of applause and the white doves were released. The first wave took off. Not long after, the second wave was sent. I crossed the line under the arch thinking, ok, I've gotta get myself to Monterey. Under 5 hours. Ideally 4:45. Secretly hoping for 4:40.

Last year I went out too fast and tanked just after the halfway point without much prior training, so this year I was determined to run conservatively having done a little more decent training. Although, with the first 5 miles being downhill I decided to bank a little time.

Mile 5 is about the time the headwind started. Newspapers are saying 20-30 mph topping out at 40 mph.

I tucked in behind a couple of guys, but it didn't really make a difference. All I could do was keep my head down and keep moving forward. Around mile 7 we started climbing through a dark swirl of fog. I could hear the ocean, but I couldn't see more than 30 yards ahead. Suddenly, near mile 9 the sky lightened as I crested a hill and the rhythmic pounding of the Taiko Drummers at the base of the ascent to Hurricane Point was audible in the wind.



It was a two mile climb that started out under the sun, but before long the wind was back again. Full force. Arriving at the top, I could barely make out the notes of the grand piano carried on the breeze.

As I descended, the piano soundtrack got louder. It was beautiful, and I was feeling really good despite the wind. I crossed the Bixby Bridge, in a haze of fog, moving toward the halfway point.

Where else can you have the experience of hearing someone play a grand piano on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean?

The next 5 miles kind of flew by despite more wind and hills, and I was happy to have periods of sun where the ocean waves crashing below were visible. By mile 19 I was waiting for the bonk, expecting it really, but it never came. I was pretty surprised by how good I was feeling, so I stepped on the gas. I looked at my watch at mile 20 where a middle school band was playing the Notre Dame fight song (shout out to my sister) and knew I was on track if not a little ahead, but still, I waited for what I knew would come: the wall.

Mile 21 came and went. When I saw the mile 22 marker and felt good I smiled because I could feel the finish. My feet and legs hurt, the camber of the road was adding to the fatigue of my ankles and knees, but the lows were only lasting a few minutes before I started feeling good again. Mile 23, with 3 miles to go, I thought, "HOLY CRAP I COULD RUN SUB 4:40!" I decided to skip the strawberries because I just wanted to be done; I was all about business at this point, and then I saw the strawberry table. How can anyone resist a giant juicy strawberry at mile 23 of a marathon? I veered over and grabbed one. Mile 24, just keep going. No really, KEEP GOING. Mile 25, one final hill. All I was thinking was ONE MORE MILE, ONE MORE MILE. A man I ran past surprised me by saying out loud the exact same thing, "ONE MILE, ONE MORE MILE."

Finally. Finally, I could see the flags. The streets were lined with people. I stepped on the gas one last time, GeNene yelled my name from the crowd, and I looked over and smiled. My legs carried me to the finish feeling strong.

I did it. And I ran negative splits.

4:38:19 

Immediate ice bath and celebratory beer.

My legs aren't huge fans of running on pavement let alone cambered roads or uphill with 40mph headwinds, but I had a hell of a time.

I might even do it again.






Comments

  1. 4:38:19?! Way to go! Under what you expected, and considering the high winds-WAY TO GO LIA! The Grand piano and drummers must be amazing. Super proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To do that well against that wind is fantastic! Nicely done! The porta-pottie picture is priceless! (And scary!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to google "how strong does wind have to be to blow over a port-a-potty". All I found was a bunch of stories about them blowing over and how to escape if you're trapped inside. Not encouraging.

      Delete
  3. An entire marathon with a headwind, that is tough! Great job!! I also love the beer in the ice bath idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It keeps your top half toasty while your bottom half freezes!

      Delete
  4. You are tough, can't imagine fighting that wind for 26.2 miles. I love the medal. Congratulations, nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great job in the wind! I was disappointed last year that I didn't get to run the "real" course, but I'm not sure if I would have preferred what you had to deal with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e