Skip to main content

Big Sur Marathon Race Report

(that sometimes falls into the ocean)


I've heard you're supposed to add anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes onto your marathon time to project your finish time for Big Sur. Because it's hard....SO... because 1)The course was altered this year to omit the two mile climb to Hurricane Point, and 2) Having done only one marathon previously- that was done after running a half marathon the day before, with a lot of pit stops and sometimes waiting in line to take pictures- I decided to actually *subtract* time to set my finish goals.

Don't worry, I wasn't even halfway through before I felt like an idiot.


We camped in Carmel at the Saddle Mountain RV park that had cozy campsites and was only a few miles from Carmel Middle School where I had to catch the bus to the start.

I left about 4:30am, and Staci, Jim, and GeNene didn't have to be at the 5k start until 7:45. I hung out in the (warm) car as long as I could at the school, until about 5, knowing once I got to the start area I'd be standing around (in the cold) outside until 6:45 when we started.

Arriving at Marathon Village, I was greeted with a sight I've never seen before at any other race ever: Porta Potties as far as the eye could see and no lines for any of them. I heard one woman say, "ARE WE IN THE RIGHT PLACE?". It was the first of many magical moments I would experience that day at the Big Sur Marathon.

So we all hung out in the freezing cold morning and then finally they began calling us in corrals to the start. And when we walked past Safeway, we saw the hundreds of really smart people hanging out inside the warm store. I got in the herd moving toward the sweat truck and dropped my bag off just as the National Anthem began to play. And everything got real.

I saw a couple of volunteers, military men, standing motionless. Everyone was standing facing the bright rising sun, some with tears in their eyes, and then everyone erupted in applause. We are here to run a marathon today.

 My goals were: Plan A- Finish under 5 hrs, and the real Plan A: Finish in 4 and a half hrs.

Bart Yasso counted us down and we took off running. I ran the first 8 or 9 miles at 9:30 pace. Like a fool.

I decided not to take any pictures on the way out, because I wanted to focus on having a good time and getting into my groove...plus, I'd be passing all the same things on the way back. Here's the turnaround, just before the Bixby Bridge...which felt great, but wasn't actually the halfway point.


There was a lot of grief about changing the course, but this was my first Big Sur and I absolutely feel like I got the Big Sur experience and then some. This is a closed course, meaning no spectators, no one out there except you and the other runners (and the crashing waves and the cheering section of barking sea lions down on the rocks) and the aid station volunteers. I ran behind a couple guys who were reading names on the bibs of runners coming in the opposite direction and yelling things like "KELLY YOU'RE MY INSPIRATION" "AMANDA YOU'RE AMAZING" making them smile. I know I appreciated every runner or volunteer who took the time to say "good job Lia". It makes a big difference when you've been running for hours, talking to yourself in your head and then someone looks you in the eye and says "Go Lia!". I would have to say 90% of the volunteers I got water or Gatorade from were calling out people's names. The volunteers were incredible.

The views were incredible

And the Taiko Drummers were incredible!
this guy was getting all the chicks.
So, I could hear this piano for at least a mile before I got up to where I could see it. On the approach he was playing Wind Beneath My Wings. (I know, right?) As I took this picture he started playing Imagine. I ran on, looking out at the ocean, hearing the music, and got a little teary. It was completely surreal and the whole thing was worth it for that moment.

I remember hitting 13 miles at 2:15 solid. Around 16 I still had hopes for "in the 4:30's". At 19 I believe I sent a text message that said "F Dis".
I had bad words in my head in response to this. 
At this point, with 7 miles to go I was running on empty. I was negotiating with myself, re-evaluating my goals and even my life's purpose. The hills throughout the entire course were killers. My legs were feeling the burden of keeping a steady pace up and down the hills for the first 8 miles. I should have run more conservatively, and now I was tanking. So, I refocused on the plan, finish under 5 hours....just keep moving.

I ran/shuffled on. It was really really hot, my legs were really really done. And the hills kept on coming. People were dropping left and right with leg cramps.A man who was running with/coaching another man in front of me stopped to help a guy on the ground "toes to the nose! toes to the nose!".  It wasn't until a few more miles that I started to feel those familiar twitches. At every aid station I downed Gatorade, Gu, bananas...stretched my calves, willed my muscles to relax. Around mile 24 I really got worried...everything was seizing up, twitching...at any moment, I could be down on the ground.

The wonderful women with these wonderful strawberries. Somewhere around mile 25. The best tasting stuff I've ever had in my life. 
This was probably near the point I gave up on my sub 5 hour finish. And I was ok with it. Not because I gave up, but because I knew I gave my all. Also, the last mile was big uphill. Kind of like one final reminder you should never underestimate Big Sur.

With a half mile to go to the finish all of a sudden there were all these people lined up on the side of the road. All of a sudden there was cheering and clapping and people yelling my name. I had just survived this thing and now here's all these people. It was amazing. I saw the finish. I almost didn't hear GeNene yell for me and then I turned my head and there she was, smiling at me. I think I smiled back, at least I tried. I know I was so glad to see her face.
That's me coming into the finish...it looks like I'm WINNING!
And here's me being FINISHED....double fisting the recovery beverages...
I think I'm really happy right now! Because I'm done! Tag time 5:11:47

And they did the 5k!
And this is the coolest medal ever. 
On the drive home I decided, I'd experienced what I came to experience. I ran Big Sur...even though I never *technically* was in Big Sur.

Now, a couple days later...everything has changed: when does registration open for next year? Not because I feel I need the "real" Big Sur Marathon course...but because I don't want to miss this feeling again next year. I want to run another marathon on the edge of the western world.

Comments

  1. You are one amazing individual Lia! You have inspired your family this year, and have accomplished so much. Next year I BET you will finish under 5hrs-in fact i KNOW you will! OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

    p.s. your medal rocks my socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Way to gut it out to the end! I ran it too and had a blast -- but sad to say I had no stomach for the strawberries when I arrived there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to post..grrrrrrrr so frustrated...BUT most importantly I am SO happy you accomplished the Big Sur & have another cool medal to hang on your medal rack:) You are achieving much and allowing me to see the race thru your words, pics & spirit.. Love you! Mutti & David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big Sur is one of my favorite marathons and I regret not signing up for it this year. It’s a beautiful course BUT it’s not a PR course. I think you did a great job and this race report was a fun read. I would definitely sign up for next year so you can run the “real” course. It’s awesome.

    Be proud of your race.

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e