Skip to main content

My OMGWTFDNF Report: The curse of the turkey or Cinderella or both.

Let's just get this out of the way: I got my first ever Did Not Finish last Saturday at Coastal's Cinderella trail run in the Oakland Hills. I don't like really like the idea of seeing DNF after my name, but maybe we can petition to officially change it to OMGWTFDNF. Takes a little of the sting off.

Here's me walking to my doom, I mean the start. 


It just wasn't my day. It was a series of unfortunate events.

  • Almost ate it a few different times right off the bat due to some steep descents and gnarly footing
  • On one of those times, my foot slid underneath me causing me to fling my arm out and catapult my phone out of the zipper pocket of my handheld into oblivion. Lucky for me, the girl behind me saw where it landed in the foliage. 
  • Saw a girl get completely mowed over in front of me by one of the lead 10k runners that came barrelling up behind us on single track. 
  • Saw a turkey. Pointed at it and said "heyyyy" with what was probably an idiotic smile on my face. 
  • Took two more steps, still smiling like an idiot, and then sprained my ankle. The same ankle I sprained 11 months ago. That kept me from running for 3 months. 
  • Cried. Cursed. Shook my fist at the sky. Slapped a tree. Got it together. 
  • Hobbled/ran to next aid station 3 miles down the trail. 
  • Got a chair and some ice and then my new friend Eric from the Fish Ladder aid station drove me back to the start/finish area. We talked ultras and party schools in the midwest.
  • Got an x-ray and got to see my own skeleton for the first time. 
Currently, it seems to be improving and not as bad as my previous sprain. I think calling it a day at mile 8.2 and immediately icing it instead of continuing to run 30 miles is making a big difference. You live, you learn. 
Left Photo:2012, Right Photo, 2013



And now, to end on a happy note, here's a video of people running in slow motion to catch trains. I need to go ice some more.

Comments

  1. Oh man - that's a rough way to end! (Always have to watch out for Wild Turkey.) I love those trails, but they are a bit challenging in places (I've fallen several times there).I'm glad to hear the ankle is responding better this time (and that you were wise enough to know when to stop - that's a hard call to make). And this is really your first DNF? Wow - that's impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Quicksilver 100k Race Report

There are things I was expecting to have to deal with during my first 100k race (blisters, pain, high highs and really low lows), and then there are things you just can't foresee (pack strap breaking 20 minutes in, starting my period at mile 44, getting Mmm Bop stuck in my head). Oh, and the RD saying something about how the day before a mountain lion had chased a guy on a bike.  The 62 miles in front of me were brand new and completely unknown. I carried this with me with projected times of arrival so I didn't have to do any math. I kept my watch showing only the time because I didn't want to think about mileage. It was a no math/no mileage strategy.  I warmed up in the first twelve miles enjoying the distraction of the dark and following the line of runners in front of me. The course took us on a few brief little loops and out and backs up and down hills, inside a mine, and around a cemetery surrounded by a white picket fence. Inside the mine, we had to ru

Dipsea 2016, BACK AT IT AGAIN

Think back to when you were a kid. Think about pedaling your bike as fast as you could pedal or running through the grass as hard as you could run. Think about how you pushed yourself to the limit, heart pounding, chest heaving, for no real reason, just because you felt like blasting it out. Think about when you felt free in your body, before you knew about injuries or training plans or being conservative in the early miles. That is how I felt going into my 3rd Dipsea race - ignorant to danger and prepared to go all out. From the sound of the whistle signaling the start for my group, which is about to join the 43 other groups that had already started the race, I didn't hold anything back. The spirit of the Dipsea is to never let off the gas and floor it as often as possible. Through downtown and then into the shade of Old Mill Park, we race toward the three flights of six hundred and seventy something stairs that make up the first half mile. As our group begins to catch up to