Skip to main content

Way Too Cool 50k Race Report, My Second First Ultra!

 

Less than a mile to the finish, having been stuck inside my own head for the past hour or so, covered in sweat and salt, wearing water logged shoes, willing my legs to just keep moving, I heard a woman's voice behind me..

"I'M TIRED!"

I laughed. Hard.  
"Me too!" I called back to her. 
"Sorry," she answered, "I hope that didn't sound negative."


In my opinion, when you get to the last mile of an ultra, you can say whatever you damn well please.


Let's start with Auburn, The Endurance Capitol of the World. (I'm not making that up) It's about 15 minutes from the race start at the Cool Fire Station, and driving in, there was a buzz that only hundreds of out of town runners in every hotel and bar and restaurant can create. The man at the front desk of the hotel checking us in made small talk...about Western States. He talked about the ice machines...in case I wanted an ice bath after the race. Downtown was crawling with people hanging around Auburn Running Company where check in was being held, and at dinner that night, in a packed restaurant, GeNene remarked, "Whoa, look at all the Columbia and North Face in here..."

It felt like being part of something big.

Race morning felt exactly the same way.

During some last minute stretching before the start, I looked up to see a bearded man running by warming up..."Well hell, that's Gordy Ainsleigh!"  I smiled. Cool.

Distances between aid stations
written on my handheld

The first 8 mile loop flew by with lots of meandering single track, pretty trees, tall grass, and a couple of crossings over Knickerbocker Creek. An hour and twenty minutes in and I was back at the start for the first aid station thinking to myself, enjoy this...nothing hurts yet! While I was out there I had a salt cap and a 2 gels. The plan was 1-2 gels between aid stations, salt cap every hourish, and real food every aid station. The plan worked until I forgot about the plan.

The Olmstead Loop took us out to Western States Trail.

And then we dropped down onto Highway 49 to hit the Lower Quarry Aid Station.




At the aid station I refilled my bottle, had half a banana, a little bit of coke and grabbed 2 gels to replace my empties as I ran off along the river with just over 4 miles to the next aid station.

Somewhere around mile 13 or 14 I saw the famous hat with the frogs and caught up with Allen who caught me feeling perky.


It was about 5 and a half miles to Maine Bar where I paused just long enough to grab a couple of potatoes dredged in salt and replenish my supplies. 16.7 miles in is when I began thinking about Goat Hill. I really had no idea what would happen when, after running 25 miles I'd be up against the hill that everyone talked about in this race and then still have five miles to go. "Oh, it's not bad because it's not that long...it's just REALLY STEEP." Sounds fantastic, can't wait.

Miles 17-21 is when things started getting a little kooky. Feeling like I was beginning to wind down, Layla (RFFT (Running Friend From Twitter))and crew caught up with me, so some chit chat was a nice distraction. Then, something magical happened. I found myself in the middle of some sort of unofficial mid race support group. There were maybe six or seven of us? And we had a leader. She ran at the front of the line and all of a sudden I was just being pulled along by an invisible rope. She would yell something out and we would all whoop and holler. Whoever all of you were, thanks.

We splashed through a creek that turned my legs to stone. There was an uphill on the other side, and the party train went on without me. I might have had a tiny moment of panic at this point because, well, if this is the shape I'm in now...Goat Hill is not going to be pretty. I put my head down and focused on just taking steps and not thinking about anything else having to do with miles or goats. It worked. I rolled on into ALT Aid at mile 21 where I grabbed sprite, gels, and a PB&J square. Because I totally always eat PB&J squares 21 miles into a run...

My aid station strategy began to deteriorate after about 20 miles. You live, you learn. I usually stick to bananas and potatoes and salt, maybe a couple pretzels, but when I got a little loopy I felt like I needed something more and that it was really smart of me to feel that way...like YES, this PB&J is what my body needs for fuel to get me through the next 10 miles, I am so smart right now. I spent the next mile out of the aid station trying not to ralph. Noted for next time.

I needed to zone out and cruise, so that meant time to break out the tunes. It did the trick.
Mile 22 went by...23....24...and then there was a sharp turn and the girl in front of me completely stopped. I smiled at her and said, "Well, here we go...!" Welcome to Goat Hill.

All I could hear was a voice that got louder and louder as I climbed. "You're awesome! All you runners down there that I can't see yet, you're awesome! I'm holding a sign that says you're awesome!"
He was very enthusiastic, and when I finally got to the top, he was, indeed, holding a sign that said "you're awesome". Thanks, super enthusiastic yelling guy.

At Goat Hill Aid I ate an orange slice. It was the best thing I had ever tasted in my entire life, so I grabbed another one before taking off to gut out the next three miles. There was one last nice big climb out of the last aid station, and then just like that I was running the last mile of Way Too Cool.
Photo courtesy of Ken Michal
Finished!

"Nice work!" A spectator had called out earlier in the day. 
"Thanks," a man behind me answered, "But it's not work...this is what we do for fun."



Comments

  1. This is a great report! I especially love the part where you don't mention that the only reason I was ahead of you was that I had a 30 or 40 minute head start (depending on your wave). That was one of the great things about that early start - I got to see pretty much ALL of the runners as they blew past me. PB&J always work OK for me, it's just that I get to a point where I can't stand eating anything. I need to get over that.

    Congrats on a great race!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Dipsea 2016, BACK AT IT AGAIN

Think back to when you were a kid. Think about pedaling your bike as fast as you could pedal or running through the grass as hard as you could run. Think about how you pushed yourself to the limit, heart pounding, chest heaving, for no real reason, just because you felt like blasting it out. Think about when you felt free in your body, before you knew about injuries or training plans or being conservative in the early miles. That is how I felt going into my 3rd Dipsea race - ignorant to danger and prepared to go all out. From the sound of the whistle signaling the start for my group, which is about to join the 43 other groups that had already started the race, I didn't hold anything back. The spirit of the Dipsea is to never let off the gas and floor it as often as possible. Through downtown and then into the shade of Old Mill Park, we race toward the three flights of six hundred and seventy something stairs that make up the first half mile. As our group begins to catch up to