Skip to main content

The Last Hurrah in Pacifica + A Boat Fit for a Hobbit

Chapter 1 - RACE REPORT

My 4:30am last Saturday and every Saturday.    
8 hours of work later, I was shoving Gu and tape into my gear bag in a frenzy so that we could blow town and head for the ocean. Allison came with us because she's NEVER BEEN TO PACIFICA. I know, right? There was a slight detour to REI in San Francisco before we made our way down the coast to Rockaway Beach.
I just started watching Lost
and I'm on season 5
so I pretty much have
a whole different perspective
when looking out at the ocean.

Shenanigans ensued during the evening. I've discovered Vine and took way too many videos, but I was in bed by ten...thirty...ish to be up in the morning for the 8am start of Coastal's Montara Mountain half marathon.

The lot at the park filled early, so everyone coming in was directed to park along the streets- the neighborhood streets, like sleepy Sunday morning neighborhood streets. Streets with houses full of people that in no way expected to walk out for their newspapers and see a guy with his shirt around his neck lubing up. <photo not included> <if you follow me on Instagram, you can totally see the photo>.

I had 2 goals for this race: 1. Don't do anything stupid like get hurt two weeks before Way Too Cool which you've been training for since December, and 2. Seriously, NO SERIOUSLY don't do anything stupid like get hurt.

I was cautious running back down the mountain on the first loop. There's a section that is covered in golf ball sized rocks, and when you want to use gravity to your advantage and make up some time, it's not always easy to back off on the downhill. I had to keep reminding myself to run smart.

Coming into the aid station I recognized Janeth, who seems to be either running or volunteering at a race every weekend and always smiling. She refilled my handheld and sent me off with some encouragement which gave me a little boost as I headed out for more uphill. The Hazelnut loop was killer; It was hot, it seemed endless, and every switchback looks the same. It was tough, but great physical training as well as mental.
Finish! 4th AG, and
nothing stupid happened!

Chapter 2......A glimpse into the future

Julie Fingar...AKA race director of Way Too Cool. 

We took a little trip into Sacramento to stay on the boat. It's a fun place to stay because it's an old boat that's now a hotel, and all the rooms are quaint and cozy.
Quaint and cozy meaning small and little.
We've stayed on the Delta King a handful of times and really enjoyed it. The truth is that the rooms are small (if you're medium sized, like me(5'5"), you can reach up and touch the ceiling in the room no problem...if you're small sized, like GeNene (5'0"), you can reach up and touch the ceiling if you have a water bottle in your hand.
So basically, the boat reminds me of Bag End.
And now I want to watch
Lord of the Rings.

This is the door to our room. 
I wanted a picture that would show the size of the door...but when I saw the picture I realize it was more along the lines of this.
Little Green Men. X Files. 
I had a great 5 mile run along the American River and then came back to shower and head to REI. There was a crowd of about 40 people to hear Julie Fingar and Don Freeman speak. I find that I learn the most when people tell stories...what worked or didn't work, what it felt like, what you experienced. The more I hear that you wanted to quit but kept going the better. I understand that everything's different person to person, you have to find what works for you blah blah blah...but tell me what you experienced, what you ate, how you felt at mile 70, how you yelled at your pacer...how you trained, how you run hills, whatever!

I learned a few really important takeaways from Don. The one most important thing is something that I feel like is a total rookie mistake. When I have an important race coming up on the weekend, I chug water like it's going out of style the entire week prior to hydrate as much as possible. What I didn't realize was that I was over hydrating. Basically I'm flushing the electrolytes and sodium completely out of my body.

Gandalf.




Ok so Goodnight. See you on the flip side.


Comments

  1. Hi! I love when you post, and this one made me laugh. Can't wait to run with you in June.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e