Skip to main content

Diablo Trail Adventure 2012

Brazen Racing puts on events that make you want to immediately sign up for another one...

and then volunteer for a bunch more. 

Sunday's Diablo Trail Adventure offered a half marathon, 10k, 5k, and family hike with a portion of all entry fees going to Save Mount Diablo, an organization working to increase and preserve the natural lands around Mount Diablo. 

From the race director:
Because of their efforts, the amount of protected land on and around the mountain has gone from less than 7,000 acres to over 110,000! With over 70,000 acres still at risk of being lost, your support is more valuable than ever!
This was definitely one of the reasons I chose to participate in this event. I love that I can run a trail race and, at the same time, contribute to protecting and maintaining that very same land.

Arriving at the park I saw, not just a trail race being put on, but a total festival atmosphere. Music was playing and people were milling around booths set up by REI, Forward Motion, Save Mount Diablo, and Farm Fresh To You.

After a 5 month hiatus from trail racing, I chose the 10k to ease myself back in and get a feel for my level of fitness. It looked pretty low key, a couple of climbs, plenty of good downhill, and some gentle rolls. After picking up my bib I heard an announcement that there was less than ten minutes to the start so I found my way over there.

Right away I was surrounded by the familiar buzz of start line chatter, "hey has your Garmin found a location?" "I ran this last year, it gets pretty steep" "you should've seen the mud a few years ago!", the groups of runners having their picture taken with huge grins and hollers, and the sight of the solemn focused runners rolling their shoulders, shaking out their legs, and adjusting their laces. I was smiling. I was back where I belong.

We took off under the Brazen arch to cheering and clapping from a sizable crowd and started to climb. We rolled on over some gentle hills and then came a bigger, steeper climb on a very narrow trail that reduced us to a hike. I asked the runner behind me if she wanted to go around and she replied "No!" pretty quickly and made the remark that "all we can do is walk with purpose". She continued words of encouragement all the way up, and at one point we rounded a corner where the view opened up. It was one of those moments where the natural beauty around is so breathtaking you can't help but say WOW out loud, which is what a few of us did.

I had some highs and lows during the six miles. It proved a challenging course for my unseasoned legs especially with the heat! I carried a 12 oz handheld with me and didn't stop at any of the aid stations, but I will say that the volunteers there were awesome. Each time I passed through they were lined up holding out cups of water and sports drink on both sides of the trail ready for the runners. AND there were probably about 10 different places where volunteers were taking race photos all over the course.

Coming into the finish, the chute was lined with spectators and the runner's names were being announced. I crossed the finish and was handed a medal, got my ankle timing chip removed and then got a high five from a smiling Janeth!

There was amazing, and I mean AMAZING food and It's IT ice cream. I picked up my shirt and goodie bag, and went over to the Forward Motion booth to spin the wheel and win a North Face water bottle!
Possibly the coolest t-shirt, medal, and swag bag combo EVER. 
My return to trail racing was not just a good race where I finished 9th in my age group, it was an experience where I felt like I was completely taken care of and got more than I deserved for my entry fee. Every volunteer was attentive and excited and having fun. The event felt well planned out and professionally executed. The course was well marked, aid stations stocked. I got a kick ass medal and shirt with a tarantula on it I mean, come on!


They're not kidding. When you run a Brazen race, you feel like they're your biggest fan. 



Comments

  1. I ran the 10K as well! (Albeit a LOT slower, finishing 20 minutes after you did.) That's really a pretty tough 10K, but you are right in that the start/finish area felt more like a party than a race! Total blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good blog... and I hope you photographed that view at the top for later runs when you need to call up a "good memory"....and keep on running! hugs.. mutti

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e