Skip to main content

Trail Confidence: Because there was no race, again.

I was born and raised in a magical land where I had my choice of trails within about 15 miles of my house. Flat shady trails, hills through the woods, or up and down along the ridge of tall sandy dunes. I could run barefoot along the edge of the water listening to the sound of the waves. I could run with my cross country teammates or drive up and spend a couple hours out there alone. 
This magical land is Indiana. The first ocean I loved was Lake Michigan. 


Fast forward 10+ years and I'm now running trails in California from Santa Cruz up to the Marin Headlands and in love with the Pacific Ocean. Well, wait, that sounds too dreamy. I live at least an hour and a half factoring in freeway traffic from the nearest trails. I'm not really familiar with any trails and watch too many episodes of "I Shouldn't Be Alive", so the only time I get out to run them is when I run a race and it's marked and other people are out there or at least know I'm out there so if I fall off a cliff or run into a rabid raccoon someone will know where to come looking. This amounts to a trail running fix about once a month, which is far from satisfying.

This past weekend I was registered to run the PCTR Pacifica race. I had planned a four day vacation there in light of some things at work that would mean no extra time off and possibly no trail races for the next few months. I thought I could trust Pacific Coast Trail Runs again after the Santa Cruz debacle and ensuing drama and rumors of collecting registration fees for races without acquiring permits ahead of time.
I was wrong. Tuesday night I discovered, via someone I follow on Twitter who was also registered for the race, the run was cancelled. An email had been sent out, but not everyone got it, including me. After an enormous amount of activity on the PCTR Facebook page it was explained there was a technical glitch during the permitting process for the event. To me, and to others, it sounded like the same old stuff happening all over again. In lieu of my entry being transferred to a future event I requested a refund.

The reason I was really excited for this race was that I had just run the same trails a month ago with InsideTrail Racing, so it would be the first time ever I was going to run something I'd run before. It would be familiar. Now that it had been cancelled, I took all my anger and frustration and channeled it toward planning my own run. Alone. For the first time ever. And I got even more excited. 

Nathan, Gu, Cheez-its, ready to roll. 
I had planned to be at San Pedro early just in case anyone else showed up, but one too many Rum Runners the night before at Nick's (hey it's vacation), and I slept in a little. 
Eucalyptus Air

Once I got going and relaxed into the climb I was able to enjoy the experience. There was one section of swarming bees, and one time a bird made a noise like a Velociraptor from inside a bush right next to me as I ran by that freaked me out. What ended up happening, though, is that I remembered the trails and the turns, I greeted other runners and hikers, I was in awe of the view, and I decided to cut the run to about 5 miles so that I could run again the next day...and the next day. 
This is me. Having the time of my life. 
And then Poss showed up to the ocean and we had some Rum Runners and Dirty Martinis while we all watched the dancing at Nick's. 
The Dirty Martini is my new favorite drink. 
The next morning, I was up and ready to go at San Pedro as soon as the park opened at 8 am eager to get back out there and run longer. There were no other cars in the parking lot.  I set out again and saw this at the trail head...
What kind of messed up Blair Witch crap is this.
As I climbed again, I was happier. I was more relaxed this time and felt more like I belonged. I took the time to savor the silence, the birds, the smells and remember what it felt like when I was growing up to feel like I was at home on the trails. Basically I was in heaven. 
I dig these trees.


My first wildlife encounter: Mr. Banana Slug. 
My 2nd Wildlife encounter. Little Dog running on 3 legs. That beat me up the hill. 
There are no words to describe the feeling of standing up here looking at this. 
Did I mention that a group of hikers asked me for directions, ME? And I was able to give them directions including mileage? And all the runners I passed who were coming up the mountain as I was coming back down who I got to say good morning to and feel that sense of belonging again?

After this run I made a Starbucks run because we couldn't find a good cup of coffee to save our lives at the hotel or the restaurant or the little coffee shop we walked to. After lounging around, listening to the ocean and eating great food, we watched the Oscars, had some more drinks, and my head hit the pillow dreaming of my last morning trail run before heading back to the real world. 

My legs were a little upset with me this third morning. After all, the only time I run trails is when I sign up for a race...it's also the only time I get to run hills. Surprisingly after about 3 miles my quads stopped burning and I was able to motor on up again. 



 So, the thing is. I found my trail confidence. I didn't get lost. I didn't get eaten by buzzards. I found my way. I was alone with the mountain and the trees. I ran and thought and meditated and prayed. This was the perfect vacation. I can go forward now, get the heck out of town and explore and run, because fear is no longer holding me back.



Comments

  1. I ran Pacifica last June. It IS beautiful!!! Too bad about PCTR, I don't think they're going to make it through this mess. It sounds like you had a bunch of shorter fun runs instead though. Sometimes that is preferable when on vacation, no? Spread out the awesomeness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, doing 3 runs was way better than racing one day and hobbling around the rest. And I don't think I'll be giving any more of my money to PCTR any time soon.

      Delete
  2. Yay for attempting and surviving your solo trail runs! I like that, especially on weekends, there are almost always a fair number of others out on the trails, making it feel both safer and more fun since many are out doing the same thing - getting in a fun run and enjoying the trails. I had planned to run that Pacifica race as well and was bummed, but was able to do the ITR Lake Chabot race instead. Hopefully the PCTR Pacifica race will really happen the next time they try - I really do want to do a race up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had fun at Chabot, I thought about doing that one but then kind of got excited for my first solo adventure.

      And Coastal Trail Runs is doing their Pacifica race this Saturday!! Totally would do it if I could make it back out there.

      Delete
  3. I ran half of a 5k once, it was very spiritual. I followed it up with an Indian taco. Lol. Great blog friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks friend! Also, you may be on to something...we should co-direct the first annual 1/2 5k run for Indian Tacos.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e