Skip to main content

PCTR Sequoia 20k


The Elevations!

Many factors contributed to the fact that today was an all around fabulous race put on by Pacific Coast Trail Runs.
My number: All 4's. 
This led to a certain annoying commercial popping in and out of my head the entire race. If you don't already know what I'm talking about, it's this one...
So I often found that I was saying 444-4444 over and over again in my head. It was kind of an annoying mantra that kept my legs moving...and made me want to offer legal help to my fellow runners. 

The scary bathroom line. The bathrooms, not the line. 
I had exactly 1 minute by the time I got through the line and exited the bathrooms until we were called over to the start. 
Last minute weird looking stretching.  
The best thing about this course is the fact that it's mostly single track surrounded by giant redwood trees and ferns. The air has that beautiful smell of mulchy soil and eucalyptus. The temperature is cool except for the here and there patches of sun shining through the trees. 

The main amazing thing about this race is that it's the first long trail race I've run and not felt like it was trying to kill me. I settled in to a comfortable pace where I felt like I could run all day and tucked in behind a very tall guy. The only downside was I got a couple branches whiplashed back at me because I couldn't see what was coming. The upside was I didn't empty my tank on the first five miles just because I felt so good. 

For the first hour or so there were a few guys that I played leap frog with. I lost time on the uphill, but tried to make it all up on the downhill, kamikaze style. My downhill technique is to let gravity do the work. Push off with one foot, sail, land on the other foot, spend as little time as possible making actual contact with the trail, push off again, repeat. It's just falling, but keeping the center of gravity above the feet. If it's really steep, the steps are shorter and quicker, OR when the hill is really steep the sailing part is a longer sail. More of a glide. Or flying. 

I've been really trying to understand what works best for me as far as hydration and nutrition. In past races I've tried and seen what I was lacking at certain points. I took salt tabs for the first time this race and carried electrolyte drink only with me and no water. I only had 2 Gu even though I had 4 with me (one only slightly was thrown up), had coke and bananas at aid stations. The first station was a few miles in, then no aid for 7 miles. 

That can mess with your mind, because trail miles are so completely different than street miles. I remember the point I looked at my watch and figured I must be getting close, except it took another 25 minutes to get there. 

I rolled both my ankles at different times. I was flying down single track steep switch back, had a thought about something to do with my shoes and looked down...broke focus and almost catapulted off the side of a very steep hillside. 

This was the first trail race I felt that I wasn't in it to survive, I was in it to accomplish something. 
The goal was under 3 hours. 

Finish time: 2:42 something (I forgot to stop my watch and the results aren't posted yet).

We normally head on into the City for lunch after these races for a celebratory treat, but today we decided to head home for a feast while enjoying the day off together. The food was incredible. The day was incredible!



Comments

  1. Great report! It really is a great course that not only stresses your body but your mind - you really have to focus when careening down those rock and root infested sections. (Not that I careen very much - I would never be confused with flying!) Congrats on finishing so much sooner than your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're really tearing up those trails. Well done!!

    All the best,

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there that day too (!!) running my first ultra. :) The downhills on this course were awful, so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your first ultra!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e