Skip to main content

DIPSEA RACE REPORT

Somewhere along the grueling uphill called Cardiac I ran up on a small blonde kid who couldn't have been more than 8 or 9 years old. He was walking. As I started to move around him on the left, he threw a quick glance over his shoulder at me and took off running. A couple minutes later I caught him again, walking, and again, he took off as soon as I got close. This would continue a few more times until his "take off" wasn't much faster than my slow trod up the hill.

His stride was getting shorter, his pace slowing, and just as I thought he was finally going to give up and let me go around him we came to a pretty large tree trunk laying across the trail.

This kid, that was looking like he was done for, and who can blame him after what we'd all been through in the previous miles, didn't miss a step. Propelling himself into the air with one foot, he landed on top of the tree trunk with the other, paused to get his balance and then jumped straight up into the air with his arms raised before landing back on the trail.

And that right there, I thought, is what trail running is all about.

Milling around Mill Valley before the start. 
This race gave me more than I could imagine. 

There are the steps, all 670something of them at the beginning where there's a freeway of runners on the left, walkers on the right.

Windy Gap, where you get your first glimpse of what lies between you and the six more miles to the beach.

Suicide or Safer. I didn't have to choose because the trail was so jammed with people I didn't see the sign for the split until it was too late. I shuffled, scooted, slid ,skidded, ripped plants out of the ground on the way down all the while hearing people coming down behind me sounding like elephants who were about to mow me over. Also I was in between a father and daughter reminiscing about how the father broke his leg right there coming down Suicide last year.

The creek crossing. A plank of wood across the creek that seems sturdy, but instantly turns into one of those wooden playground bridges that bounces up and down underneath your feet.

Dynamite, the steepest of steep hills.

Cardiac, which became more of a death march. Long and slow.

The Rain Forest, where yes, it actually was raining out of the fog clouds we ran through at the top of the world.

The Swoop (the most fun!) steep downhill full of roots, rocks, low hanging branches...it's your basic obstacle course as you're flying down about a hundred miles an hour and over 300 stairs which were covered in a thin slick layer of mud. It was here I saw the first man down, with a twisted or sprained or broken ankle. Every runner that passed by offered an "are you ok? We'll let the next official know", and shortly after we stepped aside for the paramedics to bring their heavy duty wheel barrow like stretcher down the trail for him. Also it was here I flew a little too fast around a turn that turned into a spiral staircase type turn. I caught myself, but the guy directly behind me flew off into the bushes.

Insult. Just when you think you're almost done, it's all downhill from here, this hill is here to slap you in the face. Insult is small and short, but painful.

You begin to smell the ocean. You begin to hear the crowd at the finish line. You realize you're about to be a Dipsea survivor. Suddenly it's an all out sprint to the finish.
Whatever your legs got left, now is the time to use it. 

I finished. I survived. I immediately took my small bottle of Tecnu down to the beach to scrub the poison oak off of my body and shoes in the ocean. Which was freezing.
A great white shark attacked at this beach in 6ft of water. I didn't hang out long. 
Dipsea Survivor.
So I didn't finish in the top 750 to qualify for invitational status next year, but I'm definitely entering again for next year to make it happen...now that I know what I'm up against.

Respect the Dipsea.

Comments

  1. Over the past year or so I've become mildly obsessed with Dipsea. I am jealous you got to run it! Congrats on a solid race. I am not sure if I will ever get to do it as it is pretty much as far away from where I live as humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e