Skip to main content

Goofy: Day 2

Crossing the finish line of the Half Marathon was the moment we had to begin to recover. 

We spent the day eating, sleeping, and icing, just kind of shuffling around. In the evening we watched The Spirit of the Marathon for inspiration and went to bed early. And then....here we go again...3am.
I am sleepy, sore, and about to run my first marathon!
Once again we were at Epcot in the cold 4 in the morning dark. It was colder than the morning before. At 4:30, 17,000 of us marched a quarter mile to the start. 
We were again in the second to last starting wave, and with the course making a loop through Epcot before going out to the Magic Kingdom, we got to see the lead runners as they came through heading into mile 5. And they pretty much looked like they were running at an all out sprint. And I'm shuffling up to mile 1 at a 12 minute pace trying to loosen up and be able to feel my feet. So here we are, we are running a marathon.

The first 6 or 8 weren't too bad, the sun came up and we made it into the Magic Kingdom.
Angie happy, lady behind her ecstatic.
We couldn't pass up this opportunity, the five minute wait was well worth it...
it's my pirate face.

We followed the same route out of the park past the golf course again and crossed the halfway point at about 2 hrs and 45 minutes. I was feeling pretty confident. One mile later I was questioning whether I'd be walking the rest of the way, something happened to my knee.
The road to Animal Kingdom seemed very very long. There was Davy Crockett , a bluegrass band, and a guy standing on the side of the road telling jokes. Apparently after 15 miles, why did the chicken cross the road jokes are the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life.
At one of the aid stations I stopped to slather my legs with bio freeze and had a hard time getting going again...stiff hurting knee. At the next one I stopped to eat a banana...and had a harder time getting going again...then we made it into Animal Kingdom and saw this guy!
I love this guy
The game plan was, I would not stop. Keep the knee moving. No stopping for anything. At the next station I popped two tylenol and hoped nothing got worse. 8 more miles.
The parks were actually open while we were running through, there were tons of people everywhere. Leaving Animal Kingdom we headed right into Hollywood Studios and saw this guy!
That's not me because I couldn't stop running. It's a random dude.
Then we hit mile 20 and seeing that number on the sign was an incredible feeling. We made a U-turn at Wide World of Sports at 20.2 with exactly 6 miles to go and headed back toward Epcot. The next five miles just kind of went by. The adrenaline and excitement probably had a lot to do with it.

Halfway around the world, through the park, out, around one more corner, past the choir, the crowd, the bleachers packed with screaming people, and that right there is the finish line.

I was about 12 years old when I decided I would run a Marathon by the time I was 30. And here I am in Disney World, running with my sister, with six months to spare.

yes, that's 3 medals each.

39.3 cheers!



Comments

  1. Congratulations. I want to do this someday. It is right in my backyard. I live only a few minutes away from it.

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e