Skip to main content

Race Report: Stockton Half Marathon





For the inaugural running of this race, it was pretty nicely put together. The weather was perfect and the aid stations were plentiful. The course itself was about as scenic and interesting as it could be for Stockton. If anyone was counting on seeing palm trees based on the race logo, we passed them in front of the pawn shop on Pacific Avenue.

My goal going in was sub 2, a pretty long way from the 2:12 I ran in Modesto, but I've been training with a group through Fleet Feet and felt prepared enough to do it. All I wanted was to see the number 1 in front of my time.

excitement



I had a plan: Take it easy. Go out at about 9:30, relaxed, ease into it, then kick it in and run negative splits the second half.

At take off I was so excited, happy, energized by the hometown crowd, all I was doing was telling myself to slow down and back off. I found the pace and settled into the rhythm.

Mile 1 passed by, 9:06. NOT THE PLAN! I panicked. I could hear myself describing the race after it was over, I didn't hit my goal because I went out too fast and tanked, so sad for me. I didn't want any sympathetic head nods.

Mile 2, 18:16. Um, ok. Well hell, I'm  comfortable. I'm happy...and this IS a RACE. I decided to just go with it. A lot can change in your mind in one mile, apparently. We did a nice little loop through UOP, and then back out to the levee.

I spotted my cheering squad

happy! early in the race...
Scenic Stockton. It's the Levee!

We did our long runs on Sundays down this stretch, so the seemingly endlessness of the path was bearable. Then it was back to civilization, a big loop through a residential area and then back the way we came. I had slowed out on the loop, somewhere around 8 miles. My head was fuzzy trying to calculate pace and finishing time. Multiplication? How many minutes are in an hour? WHAT IS 13MILES - 8MILES?!!

Around mile 10 is when I passed my cheering squad again and found fresh energy. It felt like I was in the homestretch. It felt like I was really going to do it.

The high hit me. Big style. I thought about mile 10 at Modesto, the work I did to get here. I loved the beautiful morning, I loved the blue sky, I loved the sun. I loved everyone and everything. Look, there's a BIRD! Running back up Brookside Road, back to Pacific Avenue, I was grinning like an idiot. On top of the world.

That lasted about a mile. And it was glorious. Then the real work began. I cranked it up, tried to keep my legs moving, and again, couldn't do math to save my life. The minutes were passing. The 2 hour mark was getting closer, and I was getting delirious. Suddenly, I was racing against the number 2. I was very mad at the number 2. I HATED the number 2. There was never a doubt the entire race I wouldn't hit my goal, until these last couple of miles.

coming into the finish


1:57:15
mimosa time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e