Skip to main content

It all started in Modesto

I was perfectly content with 5ks until I ran a longer race for the first time. After cruising through a 12k in San Francisco, I was eager to try out a Half Marathon, so I registered for Modesto. The race would start at 9pm, which sounded pretty fun. The race was three months away. Excellent! I'll be so prepared.....

I was in no way prepared for this race.

I never had a training plan. I didn't put in the effort I should have. As race day got closer, I got more and more mad at myself.and even considered backing out. For two seconds.

At the start I knew I could get through the next 13 miles with my head, but my legs had no idea what was in store for them. I said a silent apology to them, a prayer to the universe and the running gods, and we were off.

The first 5 or 6 miles were through neighborhoods and quiet streets. This was only the second annual running of the race, and along with it being 9pm on a Saturday night, I didn't expect much in the way of spectators. But I'll be damned, Modesto, you were out there on your lawns cheering, blasting music, your kids were lined up along the street wearing glow necklaces clapping their hearts out. I sailed through that first half on your wings of adrenaline with the cruise control set at a steady 9:10, feeling on top of the world.

And then the aid station had water but no cups. 
And my arch supports were moving inside my shoes growing a couple of nice blisters.
And I had slowed to 9:20

I saw my cheering squad around mile 8, got hugs, got a new burst of steam and powered on.

At this point, there were not a whole lot of spectators, the packs were getting thinned out, and I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. We rounded a corner and were face to face with a giant glowing moon hanging just above the trees in front of us. It was so amazingly poetic that I wanted to let out a yelp, but the girl in front of me beat me to it. She raised both arms over her head and yelled, THE MOON! which made the five or so of us in our pack laugh and do the same. I'm not one to pass up an opportunity to yell out loud about the moon.

Dehydration was creeping in. I had passed up the first station, and the second....let me say it again because it made me so mad. NO CUPS! Gu was the only thing I had with me. I think it saved my life.

My feet were killing me. My legs were going numb. I had no idea where I was because I had kicked it down a couple gears and there were no more mile markers, so I couldn't judge by pace. I just knew I was at least 10 miles in and losing my cool. People were passing me. I felt so close to finishing. After 10 miles, 3 more is nothing! Or it can feel like each mile is 10 miles long!

Hallelujah a water station. It was kind of a really bad idea to stop running to drink the gatorade, what with not being able to feel my legs it was extremely difficult to balance myself. I kind of straight legged it around in a circle while gulping it down, newborn baby horse style. And then Frankenstein shuffled away for about 50yds before I could get my stride back to a regular shuffle.

And I shuffled it right on in to the finish in 2 hours and 12 minutes. Proud for getting through the longest distance I had ever run in my life, and in some serious pain.




I threw my shoes off immediatley

So now I have the itch. More of these...and longer! I am currently five and a half weeks in to a training program in anticipation of my next Half coming up next month. I'll be ready this time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e