Skip to main content

Canyon Meadow 30k: Because it was time to Level Up!

I had some very important business to take care of Friday evening at 4pm just on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Since we planned to stay in San Francisco that night, I looked into registration for the Coastal Trail Runs Canyon Meadow run Saturday morning, a race company I hadn't previously run with. Immediately and halfheartedly I clicked my way through the links to check out the half marathon distance course map and elevation profile. The last couple of races I've signed up for, I'd toyed with the idea of graduating from the 21k to the 30k distance, but it never took. This time, it was time.


What I didn't know is that 4 inches of rain would fall in the area before race day.

Looking at this profile, I could see only one point that could be my demise: right at the half marathon point when I'd have to head out for another loop and repeat the initial 500 foot climb in a half mile. The rest of the course was completely runnable. As long as I could get through that climb a second time, at the point of continuing to run after having run the longest I usually run on trails, I could get though that final 5 mile loop.

There was a lot of rain leading up to Saturday. A LOT. Luckily, race morning, there were only cloudy skies and fog rolling through the hills with the temperature around 48 degrees.
At the start listening to instructions and course conditions: first half, water on the course, second half, some more water. 
I heard some people at the start talking about the first climb. I figured I'd try to run half of it and then save my legs. About 30 yards was all I could manage because not only was it extremely steep, it was covered in shoe sucking mud. Everyone was reduced to a hike, with every step sliding you back half the distance. Within ten minutes of the start, the mud got me. One step where my foot didn't stay where I planted it and I landed on my left knee and caught myself with my left hand. It completely surprised me, though. I didn't know how I was all of a sudden on the ground. I jumped up. Someone asked if I was ok, which I appreciated, I said yes thanks, and we all trudged on uphill.

A few steps later, my wrist started throbbing, so I decided to look down at my knee. Nothing was swollen or broken or bleeding, but stuck to my knee, with mud, I discovered a tuft of green grass sticking out from either side. It looked like a mustache. I found that hilarious.

Once we got to the top of the first climb, we were greeted with some rolling muddy fire roads. I relaxed into the trudging along, weaving back and forth to find the driest ground as well as looking ahead at how others were handling the footing. All of a sudden we were at the first aid station. I didn't linger long having just had a gu and salt tab, so I drank a little and took off with 6.4 miles to the next aid. 
There were a number of downed trees throughout the course. Some were the jump over kind, some were go around, this one, was the crawl under kind.

This was the view, wisps of fog touching the trees. 

I ran the rolling hills feeling really fantastic. I stayed ahead of the bonk with my salt and nutrition. Something really weird started to happen...I started catching up to and passing people. All of a sudden I turned a corner and saw an aid station. That was 6.4 miles? Really? I can't think of any other trail race I've run where I thought the aid station came too soon. I took another salt tab, had an orange slice and took off knowing it was only a few miles back to the start before heading out for the final loop. 
then I almost ate it...again.
My foot didn't pick up as much as I wanted it too, and I felt the toes on my right foot hit against something, probably a tree root. The next thing I know I'm looking at both of my hands out in front of me. It took all of about 1 second for me to think "why am I looking at both of my hands out in front of me? Wait, why aren't either of my feet touching the ground right now...OH SHIT" Somehow I got my feet underneath me before I fell, avoiding a belly flop face plant into the mud. 

I hit a paved path and knew the start/finish area was coming close, except I'd be running around the finish line to head out for five more miles...and that half mile climb again. 

The second time on that climb was worse than the first because not only were my legs more tired, the mud was worse. 
My shoes were gaining weight with each step, and almost coming off. 
I probably spent at least twice as much time going up as I did the first time, but once I got to the rolling hills again I was able to run on through the mud. A couple of the smaller steep hills got me hiking again before seeing the turn off for the yellow loop. Fantastic, I thought, this will be mostly downhill! 

Downhill is right, but I was going slower some parts than the uphills because the mud was so slippery and I didn't want to land on my tailbone. 

Eventually, I turned again onto the paved path knowing I was coming into the finish. 
Someone called out, 30k, are you finishing? I said yes and then cowbells and cheers erupted from these people at the finish, and a good job, Lia. 
I finished strong with my legs hurting knowing the only thing holding me back from running an ultra is more miles on these legs. That's it. Just strength and stamina. 

I finished my first 30k in 3:51. During this 30k I also had a 21k PR. 
A little bit of blood and a whole lot of mud. 

Thank you, Coastal Trail Runs, for a fantastic race. The weather was perfect, the mud was amazing, your volunteers were exceptional, and I love that at the start, you sent us off with "HAVE FUN OUT THERE".

Comments

  1. Awesome! What a great time considering the mud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! Running in the mud is not fun at all..I've done a half in similar conditions and I have never been so exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done - way to extend yourself in less than ideal conditions! Love the picture of the downed tree; YIKES!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LA Marathon Race Report - What I forgot about road marathons.

It has been many years since my last road marathon,  four years, to be exact , and the decision to run another one came about when it was announced that the Olympic Trials Marathon would be held the day before the regular people marathon in LA. It was like the buy one, get one free of marathon weekends. The Trials We flew into LA Saturday morning and arrived downtown at the convention center about ten minutes before the start of the men's race. The course couldn't have been more spectator friendly. The runners would loop past us four times, so we got to see the entire race unfold. So. Exciting. For a tiny little video I put together, see previous post here. Making 5:45 mile splits look like no big deal The LA Marathon   Dodger Stadium, 5am.  My race plan was pretty simple: Cruise the first ten miles at an easy pace, no music, soak up the experience, and have fun. At mile ten, put on the tunes and do the work to get through the next ten. Then, just hang on, and

Skyline to the Sea 50k. Here's what happened.

Five days before the fifth annual Skyline to the Sea 50k, entrants received an email from race director Sarah Spelt that knocked the wind out of us all: I am beyond sorry to announce that I am forced to close the doors at PCTR, effective immediately... It's been no secret to the Northern California trail running community that Pacific Coast Trail Runs has experienced quite a bit of turbulence, especially in the last year, resulting in some cancelled races and even a no show. 2012 boasted a handful of successful races, the most recent being the Diablo Marathon and 60k just three days prior. Things seemed to be on the upswing, especially with the upcoming Skyline to the Sea Marathon and 50k being completely sold out. I'd been through the disappointment over previously cancelled races, but this time was different. I'd carefully chosen this race to be my first ultra. I was brokenhearted and angry, but it didn't take long for a runner coming from Illinois specifically for t

Skyline to the Sea 50k, I lived.

To say the week preceding the race was an emotional roller coaster would be an understatement. What I didn't know, was that it would be nothing compared to my experience out on the trail. I had said going in my goal was a sub 6 hour finish, and, unknowingly foreshadowing my race, I added, "but you never know what can happen out there." My decision to run ultras came long before my actual ability to run them, so after collecting a couple years of trail running under my belt I finally felt ready to take the plunge. Skyline to the Sea came at just the right time providing a net downhill course with just over 3,000 ft of elevation gain. If you're not aware of the on again off again drama that ensued surrounding this race, refer to my previous post  here . Race morning, standing at the trail head with over 200 other runners, a collective feeling of gratitude hung in the warm air as Wendell counted us down to start. Spectators lined the street above us, and the runners e